Let’s get growing for the 2020 Sunflower Challenge
The challenge is now in its seventh year and will raise funds for JDRF at the same time.
Inspired by the success of their own sunflower growing efforts, Sarah Langton and Peter Kilby – whose son Oliver has type 1 – are aiming to spread their passion for sunflowers across the land and help raise vital funds for JDRF.
Groups and individuals are invited to join in the challenge and try and grow the tallest sunflower. Last year’s winner topped out at a massive 2.82 metres but it did not reach the great heights of 3.80 metres in 2017. So will yours be this year’s winner?
Sunflower Challenge prizes
Win prizes for the tallest or weirdest sunflower – prizes are worth £150, £50 and £25, and there’s a booby prize* too.
Four donated prizes will be awarded:
- 1st prize for the tallest – £150 gift voucher *
- 2nd place runner up – £50 gift voucher *
- 3rd place runner up – £25 gift voucher *
- Booby prize for the funniest sunflower – judged by JDRF
* 1st prize will comprise a £100 gift voucher for the retailer of your choice plus a £50 Thompson & Morgan voucher. 2nd and 3rd prizes will be for the retailer of your choice.
- 2019 winner measured 2.82 metres
- 2018 winner measured 3.29 metres
- 2017 winner measured 3.80 metres – the competition record!
- 2016 winner measured 3.70 metres
- 2015 winner measured 2.67 metres
- 2014 winner measured 2.83 metres
Big thanks to Thompson & Morgan for their continued support of free seeds and a £50 voucher.
How to enter
Register early to receive one of the 50 FREE giant sunflower seeds packs donated by Thompson & Morgan. All of the registration fee goes to JDRF as the prize pool has been donated. You will find more details in your welcome email.
The cost to enter this competition is £5.00 per person. You must register by 5pm on 19 June 2020 to be in with a chance of winning. All entries must be submitted by 9 September 2020 and the winner will be announced by 30 September. More details about growing and measuring your sunflower and the terms and conditions of the competition will be included in your welcome pack.
Get in touch
Please note that this competition is being organised by one of our brilliant supporters Peter Kilby. By registering for this event you agree that we will share your name, address and email address with the organiser of The Great Sunflower Challenge for the purpose of operational communications for this event only. Once you register for the event, your details will be passed onto Peter who will provide you with all the information you need to take part.
If you have any questions regarding the competition please email Peter Kilby at email@example.com. Alternatively please contact Danni M at JDRF on Dmanton@jdrf.org.uk