Calling on all keen walkers of both the two and four-legged variety!
Join us for the 2nd year of this exciting event! A 5km sponsored walk through the breathtaking grounds of Cornbury Park in Oxfordshire, and help to not only raise funds to find the cure for type 1 diabetes, but also to raise awareness of this life-changing condition.
- Arrive 10.30am (brunch and hot drinks will be served from 10.30)
- Walk starts 11am
- Dog show (with celebrity judges!)–12.15- 12.45pm
To celebrate Mother’s day we will be giving every mother who attends a beautiful posey of flowers, so why not attend as a family before going out for a spoiling mother’s day lunch locally (we are approaching all the local pubs and restaurants for a sugarplum Mother’s Day Deal so please watch this space!)
As there is no entry fee for your doggies, we would be thrilled if you can get your dog(s) sponsored and help to raise money for our cause, the sponsorship form can be downloaded here. If you don’t have a real dog, please feel free to sponsor yourself.
(Times subject to changes)
JDRF trust all attendees to respect the following rules attached to this event:
- We will be basing our goody bag numbers on registrations before the event date, so please do register so we can know how many dogs we have joining on the day.
- Due to the variation of terrain on this route and some uneven ground, we regret to inform attendees that the route does not allow step free access nor is it wheelchair user friendly. Some pushchairs may be capable of this terrain but this is down to the individual’s discretion/ choice.
- Come rain or shine we anticipate the event to go ahead. However, in the event of extreme weather conditions and Cornbury Park advise that we cannot host this event, please note the registration fee is non-refundable and will be donated to JDRF.
- Please ensure you use the Southill entrance to Cornbury Park, this is the only entrance that you can enter this event from.
- All dogs MUST be kept on their leads at all times
- All litter and dog waste MUST be picked up and responsibly discarded by the owner of the dog – suitable waste bins will be distributed along the route
- Photography- During this event, we will be taking photos and perhaps also filming. Are you happy for your image to be potentially used for printed marketing materials, conference or educational presentations, on the JDRF website, for email marketing, on social media sites, online advertising, by other organisations promoting the work of JDRF (e.g. schools, corporates) or external press? If you do not agree to this waiver then please make yourself known to a staff member at the event.
About Sugarplum Children
This event is run by JDRF in partnership with Sugarplum Children.
Sugarplum Children was set up by Jubie Wigan in 2013 following the diagnosis of her daughter Aliena at the age of just two.
‘Our daughter was diagnosed seven years ago with type 1 diabetes– it’s the most unrelenting condition, having to manage her blood glucose levels twenty-four-seven, and administering insulin every time she eats anything in order to keep them in check. As a result, I set up Sugarplum Children, a fundraising initiative and support network, helping all the children and families who live with this often overwhelming illness.’ Jubie Wigan, Founder of Sugarplum Children.
To date, Sugarplum Children has raised just over £1.6m for JDRF through three Sugarplum Dinners, as well as other fundraising initiatives. For more information on Sugarplum Children, please visit: http://sugarplumchildren.com/
Aliena, now 9 years old, wanted to help Sugarplum Children and JDRF so she created the idea of this Sponsored Dog Walk and a few months on, here we are, planning and executing her dream.
‘I am so excited about the Sugarplum Sponsored Dog Walk – not only because all my friends will be able to get involved, but also for our dogs Smudge & Waffle to come too, their tails aren’t going to stop wagging when they see so many other doggies. It’s going to be such a special day for my whole family’ Aliena Wigan
(Photo: Aliena & Caius Wigan)